The American Nurses Association (ANA) defines nursing as “the protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, facilitation of healing, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations."
Nurses' responsibilities include:
- Caring for individuals, families and communities
- Ensuring that patients attain, maintain or recover optimal health
- Assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care independently of physicians
- Providing support from basic triage to emergency surgery
- Advising and working as consultants in the healthcare, insurance or legal industries